Welcome to Maria Ashram School, Sheikhpura    Download.  Admission open for session 2025-26 for Nur to IX. Visit office for more information.    Download.

History

Home    History

A Brief History of Maria Ashram School, Sheikhpura

Maria Ashram School is located near Sheikhpura railway station, close to the main road, and surrounded by rocky hills. The land on which Maria Ashram School exists was purchased in 1944 by the missionaries from Barbigha Church. Later, a church was built in Sheikhpura as a sub-station of Barbigha and was initially served by visiting missionaries. In 1950, it became an independent mission station with the appointment of Fr. Michael Adam as the first Parish Priest. By 1958, it had grown to become a canonical parish.

In 1961, Fr. Aloysius Sequera succeeded Fr. Michael Adam. Recognizing the need for education among children from distant villages and the surrounding areas of Maria Ashram, Fr. Sequera envisioned establishing a school. This task was particularly challenging at the time since most parents in the area were uneducated and disinclined to send their children, especially girls, to school. However, motivated by the importance of education, he founded the school in 1964 with only a few children.

The following year, Fr. Sequera was transferred, and Rev. Fr. Thomas Cheruvally took his place. He embraced the challenge of encouraging, enlightening, and inspiring parents to send their children to school, particularly focusing on girls' education. Through his tireless efforts, the number of students gradually increased.

As Maria Ashram School began to develop, Fr. Thomas Cheruvally recognized the need for collaboration in managing the institution. In 1973, the then Bishop of Patna Diocese, Rt. Rev. Bishop Augustine Wildermuth, invited the Sisters of Notre Dame to join the mission. Three pioneers – Sr. Mary Mukti, Sr. Mary Daya, and Sr. Mary Shanta – assumed responsibility for the school, which then had 65 boys and 15 girls enrolled in classes ranging from L.K.G. to Class III. Sr. Mary Shanta became the first principal, and under her leadership, the school began to flourish.

In 1974, the school started admitting day scholars, and its growth continued steadily. By the year 2000, responding to suggestions from parents and with due permission from the then Archbishop, the late Benedict Osta S.J., the school was upgraded to include classes up to the 10th grade.

In 2007, recognizing changing times and the requests of parents, the school administration – led by Principal Sr. Arpana, Fr. Cyril Simon, and the committee – held several discussions and discerned the need to switch the medium of instruction to English. In 2012, permission was granted by Archbishop William D’Souza, through the Director of the Council of Education of the Archdiocese of Patna, Fr. Joseph Raj, to officially implement English-medium education up to Class X.

We extend our gratitude to everyone who has played a significant role in elevating Maria Ashram School to its current standing.